Saturday, March 27, 2010

Learning

It has once again been a really busy week here. My daughter is involved in 4H and we have been prepping for the Rockwall County Youth Fair. We have 4 rabbits that she is showing. Today, Saturday, is the Auction! She wants to be a Veterinarian and is putting any money made towards her tuition. She is 10, so we have a little while to go still. Thank Goodness.

I am really proud of how she has worked really hard for the last few months. She has paid for everything on her own. Whenever I have tried to purchase something to help out, she has told me “No.” She has made it clear that this is her project and she wants to earn her own way. I cannot fault her for that. She is driven to succeed. It is typical of her desire to do well. She decided to learn magic for a talent show in 1st Grade and she won. She sets high goals and pretty much meets those goals.

What does that have to do with Kettlebells and Martial Arts? I am a teacher, but that does not mean that I know everything. I learn from everybody that I meet. Every class I teach increases my knowledge and abilities, every book I read teaches me something new.

Sometimes the skills and abilities that we need are right under our noses. I have to latch on to the ability to see my goals and drive through to reach them. I have to learn a skill at 42, that my 10 year old knows now. Never stop driving and the world is yours!

2 comments:

Darryl Lardizabal said...

It's interesting how to some many skills same natural, but they just don't realize that it's something they used to "practice" when they were little.

I see a definitive difference in parenting with how my two little cousins we're raised. One in a more playful, less structured environment and the other in a much more structured, specific environment on learning.

The playful environment has lead to huge differences in motor abilities (drawing, painting, art), math (logic, adding, subtracting), and articulation (reading and writing vocabulary) that even puts him up a grade higher, even though he's one year YOUNGER than my other cousin.

Hmm...Although this is anecdotal the notion that everything is a skill is astounding.

Britt's Training Systems said...

How does progress occur? Theories usually start out anecdotely.

I am starting to think that everything is a skill. Look at love. We all love, but it takes work to sharpen the ability to make it through the rough times.

Stuff to ponder on.