Sunday, February 1, 2009

General musings

I have been finding how how much kettlebells and martial arts, Hard Style and RKC in general are truly a "peanut butter and jelly and a baseball bat" mixing. In our training we are constantly referring to a corresponding kb movement. Take downs are often referenced as the hip snap from swings, throws are the hip movement from the windmill. I often show traps and locks as they fit with cleans. I think rather than write it, we will put some of our video up next week.

We had a pretty good group workout this week. We started out with Joint Mobility and then started the fun. I decided to teach one legged deadlift after two sets of swings for warmup. We worked very low reps as this was practice, not the workout. It was then time for the workout. We hit 20/10 for 8 rounds. It was pretty intense for the majority of the class. Once we were done with that it was cool down/practice. We worked on refining those skills we have learned in the pass. The only new variation that was added was the explosive clean from the ground. The kettlebell is placed behind you on the ground and you have to really generate some power to move it. Overall it was a pretty productive training session.

I saved my training for late night. I am old and don't seem to have a need to be out late on a Saturday night. I have been working a 5 x 5 style program, but hit a light, moderate, heavy plan. Last night's workout was:

Swing
squat

windmill

row
clean and press

I used the 88's last night and feel it today. Overall I felt pretty strong and will follow this workout for the next 2 weeks or so.

Just when I start feeling froggy... Adam is damn strong! He posted this after I was done for the day.

No comments: