Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lesson Learned

I noticed that I was getting lazy on form on a few techniques again. The principle of SAID, Specific Adaption to Imposed Demand raised its ugly head and bit me on the buttocks! I was getting really good at those performing those crappy reps. Which makes sense as the principle states that we will get “better” at whatever we do, for good or bad. I ended up tweaking my shoulder a little bit on a less than ideal snatch with a heavy kettlebell. It really seems to require 100 good reps to undo the damage of 1 bad rep. That might not be the reality for everyone, but unfortunately it is mine.

I also learned this week that strength is a skill. I know that we talk about it as RKCs. I knew it intellectually, but had to earn the knowledge physically and emotionally. The requirement for the Return of The Kettlebell is completion of the SSST and a press with half bodyweight kettlebell. The 40kg is my benchmark. I have pressed it for multiple reps in the past, it has just been a while… I started RTK and decided pretty early that I was not quite ready for it. I was a little weaker then I should have been as the skill has eroded! I think it has been six months or longer since I pressed the 40kg. In the words of the great Homer, “D’oh!” I will say that the program is awesome; I was just not where I needed to be to do it justice.

Where does that leave me? I am not at square one at least. I am going to modify the program somewhat to reacquire the old skills. I am going to work on them over the next few weeks by working double snatches, presses and squats along with swings. I am going to hopefully work back into the 32s for good form snatches and presses. This week will be 16kgs and 24kgs and I might keep it there for two weeks before moving up. I am not in a super hurry as the Summit of Strength is not until August! (Hate to embarrass myself!)

I will be an assistant at the June 12th HKC in Ft. Worth. This is a great program if you have a desire to teach or just want to improve your own skills. We have one person from our group going at this time. I am going to convince some more hopefully!

We have a few other things in the works also. I hope to have a set kettlebell base to call home starting in May! We are working on a training DVD for martial arts. It will include self defense and kettlebells together. It is still in the planning stages and will be knocked out in June. We are also going to have a Martial Arts/Kettlebell Workshop in June!

No comments: