Friday, January 22, 2010

listening

I started the blog initially to keep track of where I was in my training. It is still based on that thought process. Lately there has been a lot going on in my life that has even somewhat affected my training. I have been running my tail off covering schools for my coaches. Just doing that has doubled my activity level on a daily basis. It has its good points in that I am very active lately. It also means that I am pretty tired by my time for training. I have been fighting sinus issues caused by all of the running and exercising that I have done as part of my business.

I have driven my body to the brink for years as that was all I knew how to do. I have since figured out that you need to listen to what it your body is trying to tell you. Jeff Neupert and Adam Glass have discussed biofeedback lately in their blogs and it got me to thinking about my training over the last year. I have really been following that type of process for the last year. I looked back through my blog and have been able to track the times that I have pushed hard and the times were I pulled back. I can also see where I pushed when I should not have, as there are illnesses and injuries at those times.

The first thing I had to figure out was the reason behind pushing 100% every time. Was it habit, ego, stupidity or something else? It turns out that it was usually all three at once. I finally realized that I am older and not competing in anything these days. I do not have to be the strongest person on the block. I just need to be in better shape than 90% of the population. Attending and completing the RKC pretty much guarantees that! The top 10% attends and passes the test.

I am also shooting for durability and longevity. Jack Lalanne is one of my heroes. I want to be as active and healthy as he is at 90+. How do you make it there? Steady, long haul growth without injury. The training has to be well planned and you have to listen to your body.

I stepped back one week on my training this week as I was tired. I did not push through just because I was required to. My training program was written down, but it is not set in stone, unable to change. I am following ETK and the Right of Passage. It is a journey that allows some detours. I was supposed to have 5 ladders this week on three different days. I missed a workout last week, the heavy day of course, and started this week at 4 ladders. I missed last night’s training, but will hit it tonight and the heavy day on Sunday. My body told me to slow down and I listened. I woke up this morning after a good night’s sleep feeling much better. Yesterday had an hour of sleep and knew not to train, even if I did think about doing it anyway. If I had I am sure there would have been a negative consequence...

I am still going to hit 6 1/2 more weeks of this program and then take a week or so off. After that it is on to the Return of the Kettlebell blocks. I am rebuilding my base now with an eye on the future.

I am currently doing some online training. If you would like to hit a high level of fitness and ability, this is for you.

No comments: