Sunday, June 29, 2008

Training and some inspiration

It has been a busy weekend. I started out Friday running three schools then training for an hour or so in the evening with a friend. We had some family in for the weekend, so I waited till Sunday to do my workout. I did not record Thursdays workout, but I figured out some interesting things. I found that when doing keg press there was a difference in reps depending on which leg I used to boost the keg up. With my left leg I was not able to set the keg in the right position at the start and I was only hitting 2 or 3 reps. When using my right I his all 5 reps. Tonight, I made an extra effort to explode on the left side and made 5 reps. It is not sceientific, but something to think about.

I was in a discussion on Dragondoor about training for Law Enforcement. I used to be of the belief that bigger was always better in fighting and Officer Presence. Over the years, I learned that this was not always true. Being big is great, I worked with someone that was 6'4 and almost 300lbs and he never had to fight anyone. But if you are not naturally big already, you almost fight your own body the bigger you get. I was over 200lbs at 5'7. i was leg pressing over 1000 lbs for reps and using big weights for everything. The problem was that I was always tired and sore. I was also really stiff. That was also a lot of weight to carry trying to chase people or go any length of time in a combative situation.

Then I found the kettlebell and RKC. What a difference it has made. I found exercises that work with natural movements and lots of carry over to everyday life. There is something about that cannonball with a handle that fit my personality and path perfectly. It opened my eyes to the world of exercise with a real world use. Kettlebells are a path to followto reach your highest capacity.

WOD
Joint Mobility - need to expand
Halos 2 x 10 l/r
Swings 4 x 10 l/r
Pullups 4 x 5
Keg press 3 x 5 1 x4
pistols with KB 4 x 3
Janda 4 x 5
tire flips about 150 feet.

RIS
on Thursday I did keg squats and used the slosh pipe instead of tire flips.

I have posted about Dustin Carter before. This is from his last tournament. He is truly an inspiration.

No comments: