Friday, July 18, 2008

Long week

It has been a long, hot week. the temps have hit 99-100 a lot this week and it makes training lots of fun. It makes the workout harder because the heat saps you. it makes things harder to hold onto and it is just a beat down at times.

A friend of mine is starting a martial arts training group and he mentioned the Spartan style training that I enjoy. I am not sure that I enjoy it as much as I used to when I was a lot younger. I am not a sissy yet, but getting out of the hot garage into the cool A/C does not sound half bad.

I really like training in the garage or outside. I try to train in as close to "normal" conditions as possible. Normal means those that I would be facing in a real world event, encounter or whatever. I think that is what separates kettlebell, tire, sandbags and the like user from a regular gym rat. we are using some tools that require us to be outside, I can't keep an 800lb tire in the house, ( I asked). We train in the environment that we will have to utilize our skills in as, such as Law Enforcement, Combatives, fire fighting etc.

There have been so many studies that show the more realistic your training, the more it will serve you in times of trouble. Spartan Training does not have to mean the "300" Workout. It should mean real world training in a real world environment. That is where the Spartans excelled. Their training was as close to combat as possible at the time. Everything they did was to further their skills and abilities when they needed them.

Workouts this week.
I did not increase my sets this week. I felt a little rundown and was nursing my hand still.

2 hand swing
snatch 3 x 10 l/r
Pullups w/weight 3 x 5
Windmill 3 x 5
Squat 3 x 5
Floor Press 3 x 5.

I did this both days this week, with my third workout on Saturday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Check out this spartan training! supplement this to your regimen soldier!

Spartan 300 outdoor training

Britt's Training Systems said...

Frank's stuff fits in really well with my philosophy of using what you have. While it is more of the "300" I was talking about, He is very creative.

here is his info
http://www.youtube.com/user/premiumacai