Saturday, August 9, 2008

Family Fun

It has been a pretty busy week around here. I returned from the Amazing Athletes Conference as Franchisee of the Year. I was pretty excited as we have had the business for one year and it has been really fun and exciting. We went with a franchise as it made more sense for us. I am a really good coach, but needed a good model/plan to steer me the right direction. I highly recommend Amazing Athletes as a business if you are looking to do something rewarding with children. Janee and Glen Henderson are squared away with what kids really need. They have developed an incredible Child Development Program. If you contact them, just let them know where you heard about them.

We had a great workout last night. It was family time around the old tire. I had the two 8 year olds wanting to workout with me, so off we went. We beat the tire last night, me with the sledge, the kids with arnis. I was on the 20/10 split and they took turns on my 10 second rests. They both said that they had a great time and I know that I did. It is really great to be able to spend time with family in non-traditional activities that encourage fitness. This is especially important after reading that in the near future all Americans are expected to be overweight. The time to fix that is now, by involving the children. It is something that we focus on at home and with Amazing Athletes. I really believe that we need to focus on the fitness and health of children if we want to make a difference in the future. I take every opportunity to involve the kids in physical activities. Even if we are headed to get ice cream, which we did last night, there has to be an exchange. I told them that we needed to take scooters or their bikes to make the trip. It is not far from the house and they enjoyed the trip and felt great about the reward.

We continued the training this morning with kettlebells and pullups. I am working on a Beast Challenge plan in anticipation of the RKC where I hope to be an assistant instructor. I had the neighbor and our boy in the garage with me. They were doing pullups and trying to pick up a kettlebell from the floor. We worked on proper form for a deadlifts and they did a really nice job for a couple of reps before it was off on scooters to see the world.

All they need to have is a positive model to emulate and it will sink in.

No comments: