Monday, August 18, 2008

Is age an issue?

You always hear that the if you are not 25 years old, you will not ever be on top of your game. I think some people have forgot to tell a few people that news. Randy Couture, Dara Torres, Brett Favre and even that great Texas Legend Nolan Ryan have been incredible into their 40's. I bring that up because I have hit my 40's and I am not letting that hamper me from being at the top of my game.

The age does make things harder at times. I cannot train as intensely or ignorantly as I did back in the day. My body does not recuperate as well any more. Sometimes I think that it because I trained like moron when I was younger and damaged myself. The scar tissue and repetitive injuries mount up over the years. I am grateful to have found Pavel and Kettlebells when I did. It was better late than never for me. While I can't go back and fix all of the problems that I created, I can move forward and mitigate the resulting weaknesses.

As we age, we gain knowledge and experience that lead us down a better path. I think back to all the crazy stuff that I used to do, poor form and technique with massive weights that did more harm than good. The staying out late and still training like a mad man without proper nutrition or rest.

I have learned proper techniques through kettlebells, better nutrition, better recuperation strategies and most important moderation of the insanity. That does not mean I do not train heavy and hard, I still do. I just try to train so that I am ready to use that strength and skill against the younger guys at anytime.

No comments: