Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Home From the RKC




What a great weekend I had at the RKC. I am so grateful for the opportunity to work with a lot of great people. I was an assistant for Team Neupert this go round. Geoff is a Sr. RKC and knows his stuff. He is an incredible Instructor. He is so squared away with kettlebells that he is worth the time and effort to train with if you can. He helped me make a lot of corrections on my presses and getups, which suffered from bad training habits.




We started out Thursday by taking our snatch test and skills test. I came in light, not drinking a lot of water helped, and only had to hit 56 snatches. I knocked those out fairly quickly. I ran into some form issues for my press and Get-Ups. Some of it was bad habits other parts were lack of flexibility. I eventually got those skills rehabbed and passed my skills test.




I have become a firm believer in FMS and Z-Health. Zachariah Salazar helped immensely with adding some flexibility to my shoulders and hips. He is almost a miracle worker. I spent five minutes working with him and ended up with 4 more inches of flexibility. Z-Health rocks for sure. I am ordering the R-phase manual and DVD to learn a lot more. I would also love to attend the CK-FMS to learn the screenings and corrections. I see a real need to be able to help those of us that are beat down or have movement issues.




It was really great to be on the other side of the fence at the RKC. It is so intense that when you are attending as a victim, you miss some important information. It is inevitable. The RKC is not a show up and earn your certification. It is a balls to the wall, intense weekend of physical and mental exercise. As it was explained to me again, "The RKC is a school of strength." I fully understand that now. The amount of information that you receive is mind-boggling. Pavel is truly a visionary. Some would call him a heretic, but I have drank the kool-aid!


As I have said before, I have been incredibly lucky in that I have never had any issue with my hands and kettlebells. I have used Corn Huskers during the day and a greasier lotion at night. This weekend Darlene McCaffrey, RKC and I learned learned how to tape hands really well. We spent all of our breaks taping and re-taping hands. The volume of kettlebell work that you do at the RKC takes a toll on hands. I saw a lot of chalk being used and I think that it had a lot to do with the blisters. It is an abrasive and doing swings just digs it in.
That is probably enough for tonight. I have some training to do.
Last Night's Training:
1 hand swings10 x 10 l/r with the 24kg. Trying to implement some info from the weekend. what a difference it makes. In the words of Rif, "Swings fix everything!"


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to help and proud of the new RKCs! Imagine if I had a whole session with you-not just 5 min with no assessment or history ;) Stay in touch!zzzzzzzzzzz

Anonymous said...

Paul,
Glad to hear you had immediate results from some Z-Health work at the RKC.

Team Neupert rocks! I can't wait to be on the other side of the RKC fence in the future. I know I have a lot of notes to take that I couldn't take as a victim.

Feel free to ask questions that arise as you work through the R-Phase Manual & DVD series.

Keep swinging!

Katie B.

Britt's Training Systems said...

I will be staying in touch. I am looking forward to working with you again.


Paul

Britt's Training Systems said...

Katie B. It is great to be able to take watch from the other side as long as you are not taping hands all day...LOL

Paul