Sunday, October 12, 2008

Lots of Stuff

It has been a really busy week since coming back from Nacogdoches and Camp Lansdale #12. Over the last month, I have had the opportunity to be an assistant at the RKC, be a main attraction at a seminar, start a kettlebell group class and schedule a woman's self defense class. That along with my full time job running Amazing Athletes in North Texas.

Camp Lansdale was an incredible camp. That was not because I was there, but for the level of the other instructors. I started my session off by telling everyone that "I suck, " so that lets you know that there were some great instructors.

I cannot say enough how impressed I am with Sifu Brandon Jones and his skills in Seven Start Praying Mantis. I have never been a real fan of traditional martial arts, however, I like this system and Sifu Jones. He is an incredible teacher and shows what his system is really about. I wish that I had more time so that I could head to Tyler to train with him on a regular basis. I think that if you live in the Tyler area, you would be well served to visit him.

What can I say about Joe Lansdale and his crew? They are some of the most incredible warriors that I know. I hope to one day have a quarter of their skill and knowledge. Coy Harry was named a Grandmaster in Shen Chuan and that is really great for the Shen Chuan System. Coy is incredible at pretty much everything he attempts. Coy is a sponge and can see a technique and pretty much use it for real immediately. Billy Jack Worsham is the Soke Dai to the system now. Having grown in my training with Billy Jack as my partner, it is truly an honor to have him beat me senseless every time I visit Nacogdoches. There was a lot of video shot at this seminar. I will try to get a clip or two to put on the site. Joe has to be seen to be believed. He is a consummate student of martial arts. He lives and breaths training and the history of the arts. It is an incredible experience to see and feel what he has to teach. When I say feel it, I mean it. Unless you are on the receiving end, it is hard to understand.

The kettlebell group workout continues to grow. We had two out on a trip and two more in to replace them. It is really fun to have a dedicated and motivated bunch of people to train with on a regular basis. Thankfully we are spreading out a little from our regular core group. It is always nice to have fresh faces and thought. Since this is my first group in a year and there are a lot of kettlebell newbies we are running the group through the program minimum. We have hit swings the last two workouts and will add the Get-Up this next week. Everyone seemed excited, they just don't know what is in store for them next time.

I took the week off from my own training. I felt pretty beat down and just exhausted. I ended up pretty sick this week and decided it was time for a back off week. I was also on some antibiotics that can affect the tendons and it caused my elbow to hurt. I am hitting the kettlebells again starting tomorrow with swings, swings and more swings. I am going to follow the Enter the Kettlebell program for a while longer. I am moving up to the 32kg however. I will also continue to correct my press faults.

No comments: