Sunday, October 26, 2008

So much to learn

I love to learn about everything I can. I read just about anything that I come across, watch videos, train with different people and just watch people. I really think that the more you know the better off you are. The amount of knowledge in the RKC community is tremendous. It would be possible to pretty much do nothing but communicate with, read blogs and hang out on forums. I feel a need to narrow my focus in several areas of my journey.

I am in the process of reading Plato's Republic, Pavel's Beyond Bodybuilding, Warrior Diet and lots of studies that I have come across. In the video area, I am watching Kenneth Jay's Advanced Strength Strategies, Pavel's DVDs as well as several others. Granted, I am able to only do some of this in small bits, sure is nice to have a book in each room.. But even small bits is better than nothing as you sometimes get more in the small bites of time.

The problem is that the knowledge you gain has to be able to be used or it is not worth the effort it took to find it. I think that you have to decide what direction that you want to go and learn about that area and experiment, train, play with that knowledge until you own it. I really like the direction that the RKC is headed with the new snatch test and VO2 max. I think that I need to focus on that direction with my training for a little while. I have been doing a little bit of playing with this idea by going back to the ETK. It is time to really turn it on.

I have decided to focus on some other areas as well. I have been super focused on my business and will continue to do so. I am throwing some moderation in however. I am pretty much done answering calls, and emails after a certain time of the day as well as letting weekends be more relaxed. I need to focus on my martial arts in certain areas. I really want to look at the grappling aspects for a little while.

I think that by focusing on what I need to do in these several areas will help me increase my knowledge in an easier path. I will be able to learn more in those chosen areas this way. It will allow me to dig deeper than I would just following every lead or meandering thought.

The nice thing is that all of these things actually dovetail quite nicely. I drive past some really incredible BJJ schools that have classes during my lunch breaks, the RKC fits in well with the combatives and the business continues to grow with the relaxing of the intensity.

There are some other things that I am interested in learning and doing, but they will have their time in the near future.

No comments: