Monday, June 28, 2010

Primal/Paleo




I have really started getting into the primal way of life. The Primal Blueprint is really a life changing book. It puts the reasons for avoiding carbs in a way that anyone can understand. 10 Rules to follow to make changes that last a lifetime. One of those rules is "Don't Be Stupid." That right there is uncommon Common Sense. A rule that covers all bases, do not blindly follow, research and do not just follow the crowd are covered in that statment. It also covers the statement "Hey, watch this..."

The more I read, the more I feel that this is the right path for me. It is the right path for my daughter for sure as she is allergic to all grains and corn. Those are edible substances that are not necessarily good for you. There are so many more allergies to food theses days, you have to wonder what occurred to make them so prevalent. I believe it is the increase in crap that is in our food. We have become the Carb Nation. If you take a look at just about everything we eat there is some over processed grain or corn product in it. According to the Primal Blueprint, we have not adapted to grains and the processing that we are exposed to in this time period. The last few thousand years are a blink in evolution/adaption. It is even a shorter span of time since we started chemical processing of food items. High Fructose Corn Syrup has really only been used extensively since the 70's. It is amazing at how exponentially rampant  Diabetes has become since then. In Police work that is called a "clue."

I believe in Primal/Paleo as an eating lifestyle. I have been on it for a while and find that it works for me. I urge all my clients, family and friends to at least investigate it as a way to be healthier. I am not an affiliate or get anything from any paleo business. I just think that it is the way to be. I have actually dropped 10lbs on a high fat diet. I am currently around 170  with my waist back down to 30inches. I have also increased my strength in the same period. this is all as I head towards my middle 40's. If it helps me, what can it do for our younger generation. Think of what would happen to their health if they went on a better nutrition path today. The problem is that you have to lose the view that you are invincible. You have to realize that you are mortal and need to do a better job of  fighting the ageing process. I feel that while you cannot beat it, you can sure keep it at bay for a long time.

There are some people working on a "Paleo Approved" label. It is a neat idea, but if they can convince more people, it might not be needed. The site has some really good research links about the benefits of Primal/Paleo.

No comments: