Monday, October 15, 2007

Servant Leadership

What am I doing talking baout Servant Leadership in a fighting, kettlebelling, just plain exploring combatives blog? Servant Leadership did not change the way I acted as a supervisor, it just solidified my path. For the last 12 years, I have been a Police Officer, but I just left the field. While I was working as a Patrol Sgt., I did everything I could to empower the Officers that I worked with. I wanted them to be able to make decisions on thier own that benefited the organization as a whole. I gave my guys a lot of freedom in how they did their jobs. All they had to do was let me know what they wanted out of their career, allowing me to be sure that they were following the path they set for themselves.

I left Law Enforcement for a few reasons, one of the biggest being that I was not in a place that I could follow my own philosophy of helping others grow. I felt that my path had become blocked with no way around that blockage. I felt that I was no longer able to operate as the Servant Leader that I wanted to be. I have come to believe that there are other avenues for me to help the Department and the Officers from outside.

That being said, how does it fit in with martial arts, kettlebells and East Texas "whup ass?" I look at my journey in this world as a path of learning and teaching. I want to be able to pass on knowledge and guidance to others, to empower them to think outside, inside, beside and anywhere around the box they want to. I want my students to become better than the teacher, better than they think they could ever be. It all comes full circle for me. I will still lead as a Servant, but I hope to touch more people and still help those I left behind on this new path I have started down.

Paul

No comments: