Saturday, February 27, 2010

Movement

Movement -

a. The act or an instance of moving; a change in place or position.
b. A particular manner of moving.
c. A series of actions and events taking place over a period of time and working to foster a principle or policy
d. An organized effort by supporters of a common goal.
e. A tendency or trend

Movement is the back bone of the RKC and rightly so. As a society, we do not move the way that we did as youth. We are tied to desks, vehicles and entertainment that require us to just sit and become one with the chair. I started this off with some definitions of movement so that we have a beginning point of what we should be doing.

The first two parts of the definition are easy to cover and understand. We all move and currently each of us have a particular way of moving. The question is however, are we moving the correct way? I know that I do not always move as well as I could. If I wasn’t sure before, I am after B.J. Bliffert showed me I needed some work through the CK-FMS program. I have crappy shoulder mobility and active straight leg raise issues. I have a definite lack of mobility in my shoulder as evidence through having to really work to pass my RKC Skills set as an Assistant. It has been an issue for a long time that is no being corrected. I have practiced a lot of RKC Armbars to fixing my shoulders. It has made a change in my ability to move more freely and correctly when doing clean and presses.

The RKC as a whole deals with the third and fourth parts of the definition. The RKC is an organized effort that continuously evolves in support of the common goal of strength and proper movement. That alone is what differentiates an RKC from other “certified” instructors. We have the common goal of spreading/teaching proper movements to increase strength, fitness and durability. We use the kettlebell as the tool to reach this common goal. The HKC, RKC, RKC II and CK-FMS show that this organization is about continual growth and improvement. There is no better certification system out there that allows you to be strong for the long haul.

I keep bringing up the swing and the get up. They are the two movements that create the most benefit for the time spent. I have had one of my trainees working Naked Get Ups for several weeks now. We have only made it to the hip bridge during that time. We have worked the first 5 steps of the get up to the point where he owns those positions. His movements have improved as he has developed the ability to feel his body as it changes positions during the movement. He has also increased the mobility in his hip/pelvis area. He has been a block of stone in the past. We have had to hit him with the sledge hammer to move his hips. He now has about 50% more hip mobility then two weeks ago. It is not magic on my part, it is hard work and the RKC that allows this to occur.

Movement is what we have to do at all the time. We might as well move the best possible way that we can. This will allow us to have fewer injuries and more productive lives. It is the cornerstone for how we live our lives.

My shoulder mobility has improved, but there are still some things to fix. I need to pack my shoulders a little better and make sure the elbow is locked. I also had a little hip pop, but not as much as a bent press. Life is a work in progress.

No comments: