Sunday, February 7, 2010

Z-Health, CK-FMS and Down Time

Lots of down time this weekend, but it was nice. I ended up taking a 3 hour nap after class on Saturday! The body knows what it needs; we just have to listen to it. I have been watching CK-FMS videos and working with Z-Health.

I ended up taking a couple days off from hard training this week due to being exhausted. That was cemented after the worst snatching I have done in years. I could not get my hip snap right and banged the kettlebell off my wrists and forearms. It has been about 3 years since my snatches have been that ugly. I was actually bruised up from it. I have been teaching upwards of 8 classes a day for the last month. It equates to about 6 hours of exercising a day, before my own training. I continue to walk that fine line between rested and over trained most of the time. I was starting to step over the line this week.

I believe that the Z-Health has really helped me out a lot. I have been working on R-Phase for several weeks with noticeable improvements in posture, movement and durability. I have been unable to sleep on my Right side for as long as I can remember. I have felt bound up in that position and my back would hurt immediately. I was able to sleep on that side last night! That is a big change. I think that R-Phase has helped keep me from being as severely over trained as I have been in the past. It is a good program and I wish I had started it years ago when I saw it on RMAX. I recently picked up the I-Phase Manual and DVD and will start that in about 3 months.
I have decided that I need to run through it at a much slower pace than I have been using. I still need to work on my ankles and T-Spine a little more in-depth. It has worked well, but the slower speed should make a bigger impact.

I cannot wait until the CK-FMS class in October. I am really excited about it. I think that it will be an incredible experience. It will allow me to really help people with their training. I have learned a lot from the videos and I am itching to be hands on. I will have to watch the DVD’s several times by the time of the class.

I have a small chance of attending RKCII still this summer. I am still trying to decide if I should wait till next year. I most likely will wait, but I have about a month to decide. That is time that I could use to build the kettlebell side of my business life. I have had a couple of opportunities come up and I would like to jump on them. Meanwhile we are starting to expand the group class. That will force me to clean out our training area to allow expansion. That is a good thing.

I will be back to the program this week. I plan on restarting at three Ladders with three Rungs this week. I will be adding a Ladder next week and the following week also. That should put me back on the right path. I will be working Z-Health at a much slower pace as well.

2 comments:

Mike T Nelson said...

Cool stuff man!

Changing the speed on the Z-Health drills is a great idea. Rest up!

If you are interested in doing a private Z sess when you are here in St Paul MN in Oct, let me know!

Rock on
Mike T Nelson PhD(c)
Z-Health Master Trainer
Extreme Human Performance

Britt's Training Systems said...

I would love to get with you for a session. From what I have read, you are a great trainer.