Monday, May 3, 2010

Great Weekend

This past weekend was the infamous, at least locally, Warrior Dash. I initially signed up for the Warrior Dash within the first 5 minutes of learning about it. I was on Dragon Door one day when it came up as a topic on the forums. I love Ninja Warrior on G-4 and knew that it was for me. I was so excited that I even talked Amazing Athletes Corporate into signing up for the SoCal event.

There was only one thing that I forgot and that was the fact that I hate running. I positively do not like to run as a training tool. I do not ever derive any pleasure from it at all. I used to really like it, but woke up one day in the Army and realized that it sucked to have to run!

I was actually happy to be injured and not be able to run. I then decided that since I could not/would not train by running that I would just skip the the entire event. I continued to train with kettlebells. Since signing up I went through ETK Program Minimum, performing swings up to 15 minutes and Get Up progressions for up to 25 minutes. I then started on Return of the Kettlebell and I am on my third week of that program now. I finished the first week of the ballistic block on Saturday.

I woke up Sunday morning and decided that I was going to go through with the Warrior Dash. I am so glad that I did it. I had a lot of fun. I was only able to be there to complete the Dash and not do anything else. I wish that I could have stayed as they had some cool activities to such as: Stone Heaving, Ax Throwing, Turkey Legs, Beer and Bands.

I ended up starting in the middle of the pack of a wave of 500 people. I was worried that I would be sucking some wind pretty fast. I was wrong! I kept up a good pace through the whole course. It was messy! I do not think that I have played in that much mud since being 8. The mud was like ice in some areas. People were unable to stand as they tried to get through it. People even  lost shoes in the mud bogs.

The only area that I had any issue with was the lake and the log crossing. It was at the half way point of the Dash. The water was fairly deep and we had to get over or under logs that would roll. I made it over all but the last one as the water was over my head. Then I had to swim the rest of the way across the pond. I was tired and I do not float. That was not a good combo. I was more tired after that section then any other. There was some nice slick mud to walk through right after the lake that allowed me to get by wind back. After that it was pretty much smooth sailing till the finish line!

I do not know my time yet, as they have not posted them. I think I made the course in 35-40min. I was pretty happy with that time, especially since I do not run. I woke up today felling great with very little soreness.

This leads me to believe that kettlebells are incredible tools. I know that in the old days of working out less then smartly, there would have been no way that I could have completed a 3.5 mile run without running before hand. Enter the Kettlebell works! RKC is the way to go.

May 4th will be our first class at Eclipse! Join us for a great time and great program.

No comments: