Monday, May 10, 2010

Kettlebells at the Harbor in Rockwall

We have made it through the first week of kettlebell class at Eclipse-Rockwall! It is really a great facility. The training view cannot be beat! It is starting out a little slower then I had hoped for, but I know we will grow as people start seeing the results. Classes are Tuesday and Thursday at 6:30pm and Saturday morning at 8am.


We had a really great workout on Saturday. We were able to train outside under the cottonwood trees. We warmed up and started out with Get Ups 1, to the elbow. Then it was on to the fun. We had almost a football field of space to work with. I set up the two rows of kettlebells about 40 meters apart and a third position 60 meters beyond. The drill was easy…10 swings, move to second bell 5 squats, move to third point as recovery and return to squat line for 5 and back to swing line for 10! The majority of the class had 5 sets of this fun! It was a workout that could be completed by the advanced as well as the newbies. I actually had the newbies do less reps and sets.

I have continued to work on Return of The Kettlebell. I finally feel that I am learning the jerk. I really felt the work being done in the shoulders on the first week. This week, I seem to be getting under the bell for the second dip like I am supposed to do. There are still a lot of things to work at in the skill set. My heels are coming up and I still need to get the timing down. It will come. I just need to spend a lot more time under the kettlebell.

This will be a recovery week for me. I might work on the Get Up and some swings. I have not really decided what KB exercises to play with yet. I am getting a lot of active recovery with Amazing Athletes and working with kids.

I have also been reading Primal Blueprint by Mark Sission. It is a good read and makes a lot of sense, both in the eating and training aspects.. The premise is to eat and train like our bodies were designed to do. He makes a great case that in evolution, 10,000 years is a mere blink. Agriculture has changed the way we eat in the last 2000 years and our bodies have yet to adapt to the that change. As a parent of a child that is allergic to all grains, we were already on that path anyway. I will try eating closer to the book plan for a few months and see how it goes. I will not even start on how technology has tended to make our bodies weaker. I always picture the adults in Wall-E being close to real life.

I can already tell some improvements have occurred. I do not have the after meal drowsiness that I have experienced in the past. I also sleep better at night since the insulin surge from carbs at dinner does not occur. I have cut back to 100-150 grams of carbs a day. It takes a lot of vegetables and fruit to get there.

No comments: