Monday, March 3, 2008

Kettlebell Results

I mentioned some interesting results on Dragondoor the other day. I have been training with kettlebells for about three years now as my main tool. I do some other odds and ends stuff, but have focused on the KB's. I took a PT test recently for a Reserve Police position and was surprised by the results. I ran the mile and a half in 13:41, the 300 meter in 59 sec and pushups and sit ups did not even cause a sweat. While those numbers are not the best ever, there is something cool about them.

I have not run in at least five years. I hat running and only did it when I was forced to do so, i.e. Uncle Sam, Police Academy etc. I never stopped during my run, and kept pretty much the same pace throughout. I would have done much better, but I paced myself because I was really worried about not passing the run.

To what do I attribute all of this? Kettlebells. I have worked a lot of swings and snatches over the last few years. The week prior to the test, I was doing 5 x 10 snatches with the 70 on my five pillar program. There is nothing better than swings and snatches for muscular endurance and cardio benefits.

What else have the KB's done for me? I had an insurance physical the other day. I am 167lbs with a 5% body fat. My resting pulse is in the 50's and my BP is usually 110/60. I am 40 and in the best shape of my life.

I have decided that I am a little on the light side however. At the RKC I was 178. The funny thing is that I am able to swing the 70's all day now, where the 53 was heavy then. I have moved up to the 88's as my tool of pain and enjoyment. I hope to be doing them for reps here pretty soon. For the time being, I am working on reps in the 3-5 range in an attempt to build some strength and add a little body weight.

I am so lucky to have found Pavel and the kettlebell.

No comments: